“Karma”, in Sanskrit, literally translates to “action”. In Playvox, Karma Points are gained through employee engagement (or action) within the platform. The more your team engages, the more points they earn. Points can then be redeemed in the Karma Store. You decide how points are earned, and you decide what rewards you’d like to offer in your Karma Store.
Using Karma Points, the Karma Store, and Recognition Badges together creates a powerful incentive for high employee engagement. As Gallup says “ Employees make decisions and take actions every day that can affect your workforce and organization.The way your company treats employees and how employees treat one another can positively affect their actions -- or can place your organization at risk.” Together, we can build the absolute best experience for all the humans in your company!
Read on, and we’ll break it down for you.
What are Karma Points, exactly?
Karma points are accumulated by users based on activity within the platform and/or achievement against quality and performance programs.
Ok, and how do these points get awarded?
Karma points can be automatically awarded when certain triggers, or conditions, are met. (E.g. activity on the Playvox platform like posting comments on the community wall, or completing a learning lesson, etc.)
They can also be manually awarded by team leaders, managers, and even peer-to-peer by agents, depending on your preferences (E.g. Receiving recognition badges tied to achievement or being recognized for certain qualities like teamwork or leadership.
Configuring Karma Points for Platform Activity
On the Karma settings page you can configure the number of Karma points received for each action. You can also manage Karma points per user by adding or removing Karma points.
1. Go to Settings > Karma.
2. Under the General tab, click the Karma Points tab.
3. From here, you may customize how many points are received for each action performed on the Playvox platform.
Review the set of activities and achievements.
Then click on each line item to adjust the points awarded.
Tip: Best practice is to align the number of Karma points with your highest priorities. For example, when you initially roll out Playvox, you might choose to award a higher number of Karma Points to encourage user activity on the community wall, etc. Later, you can realign the Karma point weightings to quality, coaching, and performance achievement.
Here is a complete list of the activities you may give Karma Points to:
4. Click Save once complete.
Set Karma point achievement levels
Set levels of Karma point achievement for both activities and goal achievement by clicking on the Karma Levels tab. Users will be automatically notified when they “level up” (reach progressive levels of Karma points). You determine the point thresholds for levels as well as the message sent out to users on the Playvox platform.
Determine the point thresholds for levels.
2. Add a description for extra encouragement.
Remember: This is also the message that will be automatically delivered to the user once this level is attained.
Check out where your teammates stand! Rankings give your motivation product a competitive edge that inspires your team to greatness.
Note: You may choose to hide visibility of rankings by going to Roles Managementand selecting the Community Permissions for a specific role. Uncheck the box that says View Karma ranking.
1. Go to Community>Ranking to view a stack ranking of agents by total Karma points.
2. Clicking on How to Gain Karma Points will allow your team to see exactly what activities need to happen, or which goals achieved in order to gain points.
3. You may also filter results by “overall” or a specific time period by clicking on the time filter in the upper right corner of your screen.
You can view total Karma points for an individual by going to their profile page.
4. From the Rankings Page: Click on the user name to get the following view.
Note: You may also get to this view by going to Community > Directory and clicking on the user name.
5. Click on the Karma actions button for a detailed history of Karma points awarded to that user.
Manage Karma Points per user
You may choose to add or deduct Karma points manually. Some instances where this may be useful:
In the event of an error in allotment or timing of a program launch
If you prefer to use a program not managed on Playvox, but would still like to use Karma points as the tracking tool.
Under Settings > Karma, select the Manage tab.
A new window will open a historical report where Karma Point balances and changes will appear.
2. To add or remove Karma Points from a user, click the New button at the top right.
3. A popup window will appear where you’ll be able to fill in the name (To), action, how many Karma points you’d like to add or remove, and the reason. Click Accept.
Recognition badges with Karma Points
Along with activity-awarded Karma points, you can also choose to create Recognition badges and assign Karma points to those badges. Badges can be configured to be awarded by Team Leaders only or by agent-to-agent if desired. You create your library of customized badges, or you may choose from our default badges.
Note: Default Badges may be turned on or off in Community Settings.
Create your badges:
Go to Settings > Recognitions.
2. You’ll be brought to the Badges tab of the Recognitions Settings where you’ll be able to see a library of custom badges created over time. You’ll see the badge image, title, description (this is also what is sent out to recipients when awarded), number of Karma Points, whether or not it’s a special badge, and options to manage or delete.
Note: Special badges may only be given out by people with the correct permissions. You may enable this in Roles Management. Please refer to this article to read more about the permissions you can set for our Community Module.
3. Create your badge.
Add a title
Add a description (remember, this will be sent out to recipients)
Designate the number of Karma Points
Decide whether you’d like to make this a special badge.
Upload an image to represent your badge
Note: Images should be square images, 300 x 300 pixels.
4. After saving, your badge will appear on the Badges tab where you can manage fields or delete.
To recognize someone:
Go to Community > Feed, and click on the Recognize icon.
2. A popup window will appear. Fill out the name of the individual or team that should receive recognition.
3. Select the badge you’d like to give them.
4. Click Accept.
Note: You may also go to Performance > Reports or Quality > Reports. For Quality Reports, you’ll need to scroll down and click the Agent tab. Select the Recognition icon next to the team member you’d like to recognize.
Once presented, badges appear in the community wall feed as public recognition. The person who receives the badge will also receive a bell notification in Playvox. Karma points associated with a badge are automatically assigned to the user and tracked by Playvox.
Excellent work! Your next step will be to learn how to set up your Karma Store so your team can redeem their points!